When it concerns nutrition and food, the first expert that comes to mind is a nutritionist. They are the people we see that tell people what to eat for them to achieve prime health or lead a healthy eating lifestyle.
Nutritionist in Gold Coast can be found in many settings, from schools, hospitals, nursing homes, and cafeterias. Some of them hold their own private practice.
Specific services provided by nutritionists
Specific individuals are provided with customised information by some nutritionists. For instance, a patient with high blood pressure might be taught by a nutritionist on using less salt in their meals.
Some nutritionists work with groups of people having the same nutritional needs. For instance, a group of overweight people might consult with a nutritionist to help them plan their weight-loss meals or diet.
Basically, nutritionists handle the following, to include:
- Change meal plans as needed based on the evaluation effects seen by the nutritionist
- Explain to the client what nutrition can do for him or her
- Keep updated with the latest scientific research on nutrition
- Assess diet and health needs of various clients
- Promote better nutrition through health teaching talks about nutrition and diet. Dietary teaching would also establish the relationship between the prevention and management of specific diseases through proper nutrition.
Specialisations within the occupation
Nutritionists perform the same tasks. However, there are specialisations within the occupation as well. They include:
- Educating the public about nutrition and food are handled by community nutritionists or dietitians. Specific groups are usually their main target. For instance, the nutrition needs of pregnant women are specific groups that need the services of a nutritionist. Other settings that the nutritionists are likely to work with include HMOs or health maintenance organizations, public health clinics, government agencies, and non-profit organizations.
- Therapy in medical nutrition is a service that can be provided by clinical nutritionists or dietitians. This type of specialisation usually sees nutritionists working in settings such as long-term facilities, hospitals, and other institutions. The health needs of residents or patients are the main things that make the nutritionists create both group and individualised nutritional programs. Nutritionists may also complement the work of other healthcare providers.
- Meal programs are created and managed by management nutritionists or dietitians. In this instance, food service settings such as food corporations, cafeterias, hospitals, and other institutions are the places where you can see nutritionists working. In this type of food setting, food-buying and other tasks related to food and business is usually the responsibility of the nutritionists. Overseeing other dietitians or nutritionists and kitchen staff can be one of their tasks and responsibilities in this type of food setting.
Additional services offered by nutritionists
Phone consultation, clinic appointments, and home visits are the services offered by nutritionist Gold Coast. The wide range of nutritional needs of each client is thoroughly evaluated before a meal plan is implemented.
Nutritionists are professionally capable of performing these additional services, to include:
- Ulcerative Colitis, Gut & Bowel Issues, Crohn’s Disease, and other diverticular diseases
- Food intolerance
- Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free Diets
- Eating disorders such as disordered eating, bulimia, and anorexia
Managing disease through good nutrition and food is the main task of nutritionists. A nutritionist is not a regulated term which means that anyone can claim to be a nutritionist. It is only an RDN or registered dietitian nutritionist who has the licence, training, and certification.